Exhibit Dates: November 24, 2023 - December 28, 2023
Festival: December 9th, 2023
Theme: Nature After Dark
When the sun falls below the horizon and the sky goes dark, does the forest sleep? This year, for our Wintertide Festival of Lights, we are asking artists to construct installations that interpret creatures or plants that come alive at night or light up in the darkness. This can include flowers that bloom at night, plants or animals that glow when UV light is shined upon them, or insects which emit light. All sculptures must have a light element from them, be bright enough to be seen in a dark forest, and be able to withstand being outside for up to two months.
The selected works will be exhibited alongside more than 100 existing sculptures throughout 5 acres of forested parkland, transforming the park with light and color through the darkest nights of the year. Sculptures are lighted nightly from 4-8pm. Participating artists are encouraged to join us for live outdoor performances and a community celebration of light at our annual Wintertide Festival on December 9th.
Applicants are encouraged to visit Webster’s Woods Sculpture Park to experience firsthand the park’s terrain and second-growth Olympic forest environment, which presents unique challenges and opportunities for lighted art.
Open to all artists and artist teams located within the United States. Artist teams please designate one primary contact person for your group.
- Make use of light as a primary design element
- Be the artist or artist team’s own original work
- Be suitable for viewers of all ages
- Be designed to withstand dramatic Pacific Northwest winter weather including high winds, freezing temperatures, and significant rainfall or heavy wet snow
- Be soundly constructed and firmly anchored to prevent vandalism, theft, or injury
- Artwork must have minimal impact on natural surroundings
Terms & Conditions:
- Artists are solely responsible for transportation and installation of their work, to be ready for display by November 19, 2023. Artists will provide a minimum of 25' extension cord and all materials will be labeled with artists name.
- Final location and installation details will be determined by the Gallery & Program Director, whose decisions are final. Artwork that differs substantially from submitted image(s) or project proposals may not be installed.
- Selected sculptures must be installed between November 8-19, 2023, and must remain in place through December 28, 2023.
- Participating artists will receive a stipend ranging from $150-$1,000 for loan of the work, based on the individual needs of each piece and the artist’s indicated funding request in the application form. Stipend funds will be presented at the time of successful installation.
- PAFAC charges a 40% commission on all sales.
- Artists will hold harmless the PAFAC and the City of Port Angeles from any claim of damage or loss of artworks from any cause whatsoever, during the period the sculpture is displayed.
- Any images submitted or photographs taken of the artwork may be used by PAFAC to promote or advertise the exhibit
- Work not de-installed by January 15, 2024 will become the property of PAFAC.
- We have greatly expanded our A/C power access throughout the park and we anticipate being able to connect standard 110v A/C power to artworks throughout much of the park's 5 acre property, including main paths, open meadow spaces, and dense woodland.
- Unless otherwise specified, PAFAC will supply a timer and extension cord to ensure that our staff can troubleshoot any electrical issues not directly related to your artwork.
- All electrical components provided by the artist must be rated for outdoor use and all connections must be sealed with an appropriate waterproof sleeve or cover.
- Artworks making use of wireless [solar, battery-powered, glow-in-the-dark, etc.] technology may be installed anywhere throughout the 5-acre park; however, our past experience suggests that A/C powered pieces tend to be brighter, more reliable, and easier for staff to troubleshoot.
- PAFAC staff are not able to provide ongoing routine maintenance such as recharging batteries or turning works on/off on a daily basis.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2023 at midnight
Email Notifications: October 8, 2023
Installation Dates: November 8 - 19, 2023
Opening Day: Friday, November 24, 2023
Wintertide Festival: Saturday, December 9, 2023
De-installation: January 3 - January 12, 2024