The Port Angeles Fine Arts Center seeks North Olympic Peninsula artists and artisans to sell handmade gift items in the 2021 Wintertide Makers Market. The market will be open from November 26 - December 19. Market items may be purchased in person at the Esther Webster Gallery as well as online through the PAFAC store.
How it Works
The Wintertide Makers Market connects shoppers with locally-made artisan gift items in a peaceful setting. In addition to supporting Olympic Peninsula artists, this event is a vital source of financial support for the arts center. Participating artists will be selected based on the quality and suitability of their work, with priority consideration given to entries received by August 21. Entries will be accepted through October 2.
Participating artists will be asked to prepare items and documentation for both online and in-person sales, to assist with setting up their display within the assigned space in the gallery, and to assist with promotion of the market. PAFAC will promote and staff the market, manage all sales, and issue commission checks to participating artists.
The Wintertide Makers Market is oriented towards holiday shoppers and features a wide range of artisan-made gifts, including art prints and costume jewelry, ornaments and home décor, wearables such as mittens and hats, small toys and games, body care goods, and more. Please inquire if you have questions about the suitability of a particular item.
The most successful artisans include items at a range of price points for different budgets. Top-selling items typically fall between $15 and $50, which can be a challenge when pricing handmade pieces. We encourage artists to feature some “aspirational” pieces at higher prices alongside a selection of smaller and/or simpler designs in this lower price range. Please do not discount the prices on your time-consuming original work!
Sales & Commission Payments
All sales will run through the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, which takes a 40% commission on sales. Participating artists are encouraged set retail prices appropriately. Commission checks for Makers Market sales will be mailed on or before December 23, 2021.
The market is open to all artists and artisans residing in Clallam and Jefferson counties.
· August 21 – Priority Entry Deadline
· August 28 – Priority Notification Deadline
· October 2 – Final Entry Deadline
· October 9 – Final Notification Deadline
· October 21, 5pm – Participating Artist Training & Prep Session (strongly encouraged for first-time participants; optional for returning 2020 participants)
· October 25 – Sample Inventory & Photo Deadline (mandatory for all)
· November 8 – Final Inventory & Photo Deadline
· November 22-24 – Merchandise delivery & display setup
· November 26 – December 19 – Market open for sales!
· December 20-21 – Pack up unsold merchandise
· December 24 – Commission checks mailed
PAFAC will be responsible for:
- Promoting the market throughout the Port Angeles area & beyond
- Providing print & digital promotional materials to participating artists & artisans
- Providing security for all items throughout the event
- Staffing the market & managing all sales & sales taxes
- Tidying, remerchandising, & replenishing items throughout the event
- Promptly issuing commission checks to participating artists
Participating artists will be responsible for:
- Following instructions carefully & complying with all market deadlines
- Selecting and preparing merchandise for market, including clearly labeling each item with a price and inventory number
- Supplying a digital inventory document and digital photo of each item, according to the provided instructions
- Assisting with market promotion, including reaching out to the artist’s own contacts and sharing digital and/or print publicity materials
- Delivering merchandise and setting up an attractive display prior to the market opening
- Picking up unsold items promptly after the market closes