The Port Angeles Fine Arts Center seeks locally-produced artisan gift items for our fourth annual Wintertide Makers Market.
How it Works
The Wintertide Makers Market connects shoppers with inspiring locally-made gifts in a peaceful natural setting. In addition to supporting Olympic Peninsula artists, this event is a key source of income for the nonprofit arts center.
Participating artists will be selected based on the quality and suitability of their work, with priority consideration given to entries received by August 15. Entries will be accepted through October 15.
Participating artists are responsible for preparing and pricing their items, setting up an attractive merchandise display in their assigned location in the gallery, and assisting with promotion of the market. PAFAC will promote and staff the market, manage all sales, and issue commission checks to participating artists.
Changes for 2022
Based on artist feedback and sales data, we will be offering in-person sales ONLY in 2022. This will allow us to drastically simplify our inventory requirements and drop the photo requirement entirely – creating a substantial time savings for participating artists and ensuring a unique shopping experience for market visitors.
With this emphasis on in-person sales, we plan to drive market traffic through a series of special events and promotions, including a PAFAC members' preview, evening shopping hours each Friday night, safe shopping mornings with all visitors masked and limited gallery traffic, and of course our workshop series and Wintertide Festival event.
The Wintertide Makers Market is oriented towards holiday shoppers and includes a wide range of affordable artisan-made gifts. We welcome multiples such as prints, stickers, or mold-made pieces; however, all wares should feature the artist's own original designs. Suitable items include, but are not limited to: art prints, cards, costume jewelry, seasonal ornaments, home decor items, wearables, small toys, games, body care goods, and more. Please inquire if you have questions about the suitability of a particular item.
Our best-selling artisans include items at a range of price points for different budgets; in 2021, the average price per item was $20. We encourage artists to feature a few aspirational show pieces at higher prices alongside a selection of smaller and/or simpler designs in the $15-$40 price range. Please do not discount the prices on your time-consuming original work!
Sales & Commission Payments
All sales will run through the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, which takes a 40% commission on sales. Participating artists are encouraged to set retail prices accordingly. Commission checks for Makers Market sales will be mailed on or before December 23, 2022.
The market is open to all artists and artisans residing in Clallam and Jefferson counties.
- August 15 – Priority Entry Deadline
- September 1 – Priority Notification Deadline
- September 29, 5-7pm – Makers Market Info Session (strongly encouraged for all participants)
- October 15 – Final Entry Deadline
- November 1 – Final Notification Deadline
- November 18-20 – Merchandise delivery & display setup
- November 21-23 – VIP Market Preview (PAFAC members only)
- November 25 - December 18 – Market open to the public
- December 19-21 – Market strike; artists retrieve unsold items
- December 23 – Commission checks mailed on or before this date
PAFAC will be responsible for:
- Promoting the market throughout the Port Angeles area & beyond
- Providing print & digital promotional materials to participating artists & artisans
- Providing security for all items throughout the event
- Staffing the market & managing all sales & taxes
- Tidying, re-merchandising, & replenishing items throughout the event
- Promptly issuing commission checks to participating artists
Participating artists will be responsible for:
- Following instructions carefully, including complying with safety requirements and market deadlines
- Selecting and preparing merchandise for market, including providing PAFAC with an accurate inventory and marking each item with a price label
- Assisting with market promotion, including reaching out to the artist’s own contacts and sharing digital and/or print publicity materials
- Delivering merchandise and setting up an attractive display prior to the market opening
- Picking up unsold items promptly after the market closes