The Port Angeles Fine Arts Center seeks locally-produced artisan gift items for our fourth annual Wintertide Makers Market.
How it Works
The Wintertide Makers Market connects shoppers with inspiring locally-made gifts in a peaceful natural setting. In addition to supporting Olympic Peninsula artists, this event is a key source of income for the nonprofit arts center.
Participating artists will be selected based on the quality and suitability of their work, with priority consideration given to entries received by August 15. Entries will be accepted through October 15.
Participating artists are responsible for preparing and pricing their items, setting up an attractive merchandise display in their assigned location in the gallery, and assisting with promotion of the market. PAFAC will promote and staff the market, manage all sales, and issue commission checks to participating artists.
Changes for 2022
Based on artist feedback and sales data, we will be offering in-person sales ONLY in 2022. This will allow us to drastically simplify our inventory requirements and drop the photo requirement entirely – creating a substantial time savings for participating artists and ensuring a unique shopping experience for market visitors.
With this emphasis on in-person sales, we plan to drive market traffic through a series of special events and promotions, including a PAFAC members' preview, evening shopping hours each Friday night, safe shopping mornings with all visitors masked and limited gallery traffic, and of course our workshop series and Wintertide Festival event.
The Wintertide Makers Market is oriented towards holiday shoppers and includes a wide range of affordable artisan-made gifts. We welcome multiples such as prints, stickers, or mold-made pieces; however, all wares should feature the artist's own original designs. Suitable items include, but are not limited to: art prints, cards, costume jewelry, seasonal ornaments, home decor items, wearables, small toys, games, body care goods, and more. Please inquire if you have questions about the suitability of a particular item.
Our best-selling artisans include items at a range of price points for different budgets; in 2021, the average price per item was $20. We encourage artists to feature a few aspirational show pieces at higher prices alongside a selection of smaller and/or simpler designs in the $15-$40 price range. Please do not discount the prices on your time-consuming original work!
Sales & Commission Payments
All sales will run through the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center, which takes a 40% commission on sales. Participating artists are encouraged to set retail prices accordingly. Commission checks for Makers Market sales will be mailed on or before December 23, 2022.
The market is open to all artists and artisans residing in Clallam and Jefferson counties.
- August 15 – Priority Entry Deadline
- September 1 – Priority Notification Deadline
- September 29, 5-7pm – Makers Market Info Session (strongly encouraged for all participants)
- October 15 – Final Entry Deadline
- November 1 – Final Notification Deadline
- November 18-20 – Merchandise delivery & display setup
- November 21-23 – VIP Market Preview (PAFAC members only)
- November 25 - December 18 – Market open to the public
- December 19-21 – Market strike; artists retrieve unsold items
- December 23 – Commission checks mailed on or before this date
PAFAC will be responsible for:
- Promoting the market throughout the Port Angeles area & beyond
- Providing print & digital promotional materials to participating artists & artisans
- Providing security for all items throughout the event
- Staffing the market & managing all sales & taxes
- Tidying, re-merchandising, & replenishing items throughout the event
- Promptly issuing commission checks to participating artists
Participating artists will be responsible for:
- Following instructions carefully, including complying with safety requirements and market deadlines
- Selecting and preparing merchandise for market, including providing PAFAC with an accurate inventory and marking each item with a price label
- Assisting with market promotion, including reaching out to the artist’s own contacts and sharing digital and/or print publicity materials
- Delivering merchandise and setting up an attractive display prior to the market opening
- Picking up unsold items promptly after the market closes
Rolling Acceptance, August 1 - October 1, 2022
Exhibit Dates: November 25, 2022 - December 18, 2022
The Port Angeles Fine Arts Center seeks proposals for temporary or long-term light-based installations and artworks for installation in Webster’s Woods Sculpture Park, Port Angeles, WA. Existing pieces as well as proposals for new works will be considered.
The selected works will be exhibited alongside more than 100 existing sculptures throughout 5 acres of forested parkland, transforming the park with light and color through the darkest nights of the year. Sculptures are lighted nightly from 4-8pm. Participating artists are encouraged to join us for live outdoor performances and a community celebration of light at our annual Wintertide Festival on December 10.
Applicants are encouraged to visit Webster’s Woods Sculpture Park to experience firsthand the park’s rugged terrain and second-growth Olympic forest environment, which presents unique challenges and opportunities for lighted art.
Open to all artists and artist teams located within the United States. Artist teams please designate one primary contact person for your group.
- Make use of light as a primary design element
- Be the artist or artist team’s own original work
- Be suitable for viewers of all ages
- Be designed to withstand dramatic Pacific Northwest winter weather including high winds, freezing temperatures, and significant rainfall or heavy wet snow
- Be soundly constructed and firmly anchored to prevent vandalism, theft, or injury
Terms & Conditions:
- Artists are solely responsible for transportation and installation of their work, to be ready for display by November 18, 2022
- Final location and installation details will be determined by the Gallery & Program Director, whose decisions are final. Artwork that differs substantially from submitted image(s) or project proposals may not be installed.
- Selected sculptures must be installed between November 1-18, 2022, and must remain in place through December 18, 2022.
- Participating artists will receive a stipend ranging from $150-$1,000 for loan of the work, based on the complexity of each piece and the artist’s indicated funding need in the application form. Stipend funds will be presented at the time of successful installation.
- PAFAC charges a 40% commission on all sales.
- Artists will hold harmless the PAFAC and the City of Port Angeles from any claim of damage or loss of artworks from any cause whatsoever, during the period the sculpture is displayed.
- Any images submitted or photographs taken of the artwork may be used by PAFAC to promote or advertise the exhibit
- Work not de-installed by January 15, 2023 will become the property of PAFAC.
- We are thrilled to have greatly expanded our A/C power access throughout the park over the past year, and we anticipate being able to connect standard 110v A/C power to artworks throughout much of the park's 5 acre property, including main paths, open meadow spaces, and dense woodland.
- Unless otherwise specified, PAFAC will supply a timer and extension cord to ensure that our staff can troubleshoot any electrical issues not directly related to your artwork.
- All electrical components provided by the artist must be rated for outdoor use and all connections must be sealed with an appropriate waterproof sleeve or cover.
- Artworks making use of wireless [solar, battery-powered, glow-in-the-dark, etc.] technology may be installed anywhere throughout the 5-acre park; however, our past experience suggests that A/C powered pieces tend to be brighter, more reliable, and easier for staff to troubleshoot.
- PAFAC staff are not able to provide ongoing routine maintenance such as recharging batteries or turning works on/off on a daily basis.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2022 at midnight
Email Notifications: October 8, 2022
Installation Dates: November 1 - 18, 2022
Opening Day: Friday, November 25, 2022
Wintertide Festival: Saturday, December 10, 2022
De-installation: December 19 - January 15, 2023